Re: pro-audio knowledge and the linux cause [Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]]

Subject: Re: pro-audio knowledge and the linux cause [Re: [linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]]
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 21:14:19 EET

Hi,

--- Frank Barknecht <fbar_AT_footils.org> wrote:

> Hallo,
> Jan Depner hat gesagt: // Jan Depner wrote:
>
> > That's why it's called TapeOp (the guy that runs
> the analog tape machine
> > in the recording/mastering studio). It's not
> about all pro audio,
> > mostly just recording and mastering.
>
> Yeah, no problem with that. My rant that pro audio
> not equals
> recording was more trying to get this fact
> remembered.

There is existing nomenclature and the phrase "pro
audio" defines audio engineering, sound design, etc.
To confuse matters, the term "pro" is used to imply
something about quality of product and subsequently
becomes used as a qualifier to describe many things.

In my opinion audio engineering is the discipline of
processing sound to create a desired end product which
isn't always musical.

I would suggest that using synthesis tools is foremost
an act of sound design. That is to create or
manufacture sounds. The discipline is distinct from
audio engineering.

Identifying or acknowleding a distinction between
these two disciplines leaves the misuse of the term
"pro" but addressing that problem is almost a
distraction from what Frank is expressing:

 I sometimes
> fear, that people like me, who almost never use
> Ardour, might feel
> shut out of the "pro audio" realm, just because we
> don't record and
> master anything.

When I think of synthesis and sound design in Linux
Audio the person that comes to my mind is Frank
Barknecht. I don't really know what Frank does with
his "sounds" but I know some of his work is musical
and consequently requires audio engineering. I'm
trying to be diplomatic by acknowleding distincts
between equally important disciplines but I'm just a
dipshit.

We have so many challanges in defining nomenclature
and using language that it's almost impossible to
satisfy all the equally important interests. I am
hesitant to send this response because my definitions
are wrought with inaccuracies but I'm going to because
I want sound designers, musicians, application
programmers and everyone else to know that I love what
each of us does. The importance of each discipline is
not lost on me and if it is, I am an uninspired
dullard.

I really need to shutup and play the drums. You know
how you can tell if the stage isn't level? The drummer
will drool more from one side of his mouth than the
other. Why did I just hurt myself?

ron