[linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?
From: Brad Fuller (brad_AT_sonaural.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 00:50:23 EET

The current discussions re: RME cards and ProTools going Linux reminded
me of a question that I wanted to refresh the list with. That is,
building a DAW from scratch. Ok, I'm not talking about creating your own
mobo, but to purchase a pre-made one, a processor, cards, yada..yada.
I haven't seen this disussed recently, and was curious what others have
done, and what others have used, to build-it-yourself.

Can we start with mobo's? Any recommendations, horror stories, successes
are most welcome.

I recently built an AMD64 PC using a DFI K8M800 board, but it was for
MythTV. I had absolutely no problems with the hardware. The problem was
getting 64bit apps/drivers. I had to build most of it myself. It is
getting _much_ better out there for the 64bit world, though.

As I said, that was for MythTV. For audio, my latest is P4 machine is
running FC2 -- with no problems lately. But, this is an older PC.

Stories? recommendations?