RE: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?
From: Reuben Martin (MartinR_AT_jbu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 07:16:14 EET

>Reuben Martin wrote:
>
>>>Can we start with mobo's? Any recommendations,
>>>horror stories, successes are most welcome.
>>>
>>>Stories? recommendations?
>>>

>>I built my own from scratch. I would actually recommend it as opposed to
>>prebuilt boxes because you can pick and choose hardware that will have
>>good linux support. I bought a VIA chipset mobo, AMD Athlon-XP, and an
>>RME audio card. Gentoo distro. No horror stories. (Well, I found I had a
>>bad memory stick when I was building it, but otherwise no complaints)
>>
>what mobo did you get?

ASUS A7V333. This was more than two years ago though when it was the latest and greatest. There are more up-to-date mobos than this one now. For people looking for mobos for AMD procoessors, I would recommend VIA chipsets over Nvidia. The support is more mature for VIA. AMD chipsets are also good, but not very common. If you want a 64 bit AMD processor, I would wait for 64 bit support to mature a bit more. Give it another year or so.

-Reuben