Re: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?
From: Brad Fuller (brad_AT_sonaural.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 17:19:41 EET

tim hall wrote:

>I spend most of my time recycling equipment that the rest of you would
>probably consider to be doorstops. On older MoBos you should avoid SiS
>chipsets like the plague. I don't know if that's improved recently.
>
>When I have a couple of hundred to spend, I'm surely going to treat myself and
>put together a Linux-compatible DAW. All Macs are purpose built, many Windows
>boxes are specifically designed and need to be considering the paucity of
>drivers that come with XP. Although reconfiguring old Windows Office boxes to
>run Debian always feels like some kind of victory, I'm always aware how much
>these machines weren't designed to do what I'm trying to do with them. This
>becomes more and more apparent as soon as you start trying to make music.

I want to understand how the design of these (Win-centric) mobos are a
hindrance to running Linux. Can you explain what to look for in mobos to
run Linux -- especially for what we are concerned with? Are there mobos
on the market that are designed with Linux in mind or explicitly for Linux?

Maybe we could come up with a list of mobos that are
favorable/unfavorable for Linux (maybe one exists?) A list of mobos for
Linux-Audio would be preferable, but I think this is asking too much.
Maybe not.

brad