Re: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Scratch-built DAW - what's your favorite?
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 01 2004 - 15:21:12 EET

Last Wednesday 01 December 2004 05:16, Reuben Martin was like:
> ASUS A7V333. This was more than two years ago though when it was the latest
> and greatest. There are more up-to-date mobos than this one now. For people
> looking for mobos for AMD procoessors, I would recommend VIA chipsets over
> Nvidia. The support is more mature for VIA. AMD chipsets are also good, but
> not very common. If you want a 64 bit AMD processor, I would wait for 64
> bit support to mature a bit more. Give it another year or so.

I spend most of my time recycling equipment that the rest of you would
probably consider to be doorstops. On older MoBos you should avoid SiS
chipsets like the plague. I don't know if that's improved recently.

When I have a couple of hundred to spend, I'm surely going to treat myself and
put together a Linux-compatible DAW. All Macs are purpose built, many Windows
boxes are specifically designed and need to be considering the paucity of
drivers that come with XP. Although reconfiguring old Windows Office boxes to
run Debian always feels like some kind of victory, I'm always aware how much
these machines weren't designed to do what I'm trying to do with them. This
becomes more and more apparent as soon as you start trying to make music.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk