Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: pro-audio knowledge

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: pro-audio knowledge
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 00:19:43 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 09:06, tim hall wrote:
> Last Wednesday 01 December 2004 05:23, Jack O'Quin was like:
> > > Lee Revell hat gesagt: // Lee Revell wrote:
> > >
> > > What about if we here and now invent the term "pro linux audio" and
> > > define it to include all of the above?! ;)
> >
> > I've always hated the word "pro", in almost context it has no real
> > meaning, just marketing sizzle.
> >
> > But, that would reduce your suggestion to just "linux audio", which we
> > already have. :-)
>
> Job Done then ;-)
>
> I agree this 'pro' term is nonsense. 'Professional' means you do it for a
> living, people wrongly attach some judgement of quality to that. Being an
> amateur means doing it for the love of it, which is a noble thing.
> I think that's all of us isn't it?

        Not for a living, just for money, although I do tend to agree that your
definition makes more sense. College athletes in the US are considered
professional and barred from NCAA competition if they are paid for
competing. The judgment of quality is that the product is supposed to
be good enough for professional use - which may or may not be the case.

Jan