Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?
From: Machine Has No Agenda (forums_AT_machinehasnoagenda.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 23:05:40 EET

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 07:32, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:25, Machine Has No Agenda wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 18:45, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm...I'm not familiar with what 2.6 voodoo the CCRMA kernel is using. I
> > > don;t think it's realtime-lsm though. I think it's Ingo's patches? Maybe
> > > the realtime threads or some such thing are causing a problem...
> > >
> > > Any other CCRMA succesful vst users??
> >
> > woohoo!!!! i am now a successful ccrma user of jack_fst!!! i managed to
> > get it working with wine 20040505 and the ccrma 2.6.8 R9 kernel on my
> > fedora core 2 box ....
> >
> > the trick was to check the "No Memory Lock" box in qjackctl - now i'm
> > running crystal synth, pro-52, slayer2, plasticz plus a whole bunch of
> > others as a normal user ... I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM RIGHT NOW!!!
> > months of work, paid off ....
>
> How much memory do you have in your machine?

i have 512mb ... and the system never seems to approach using even half
of that ...

> The "No Memory Lock" option
> does just that, the audio application pages are not locked into real
> memory (your real RAM), meaning they can be swapped out to disk when the
> system runs out of memory. Which means you can get xruns due to that
> (imagine: part of the app is on disk and maybe is needed again in memory
> to run the realtime stuff and that's it, it has to come from disk to
> memory and that takes a lot of time).
>
> Maybe you didn't have enough RAM to accomodate all the audio apps and
> their libraries. Wine or whatever cannot lock down enough memory and it
> quits.

hmmm, i'll test out some vst's other than crystal synth with memory lock
enabled and see how they go ... as for ram, i don't think my system has
ever even used the swap partition ...

unless - and i have no idea here - my system is blocking some libraries
from accessing ram while realtime caps are enabled?

shayne

shayne