Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 22:32:58 EET

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 11:25, Machine Has No Agenda wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 18:45, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
> > Hmm...I'm not familiar with what 2.6 voodoo the CCRMA kernel is using. I
> > don;t think it's realtime-lsm though. I think it's Ingo's patches? Maybe
> > the realtime threads or some such thing are causing a problem...
> >
> > Any other CCRMA succesful vst users??
>
> woohoo!!!! i am now a successful ccrma user of jack_fst!!! i managed to
> get it working with wine 20040505 and the ccrma 2.6.8 R9 kernel on my
> fedora core 2 box ....
>
> the trick was to check the "No Memory Lock" box in qjackctl - now i'm
> running crystal synth, pro-52, slayer2, plasticz plus a whole bunch of
> others as a normal user ... I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM RIGHT NOW!!!
> months of work, paid off ....

How much memory do you have in your machine? The "No Memory Lock" option
does just that, the audio application pages are not locked into real
memory (your real RAM), meaning they can be swapped out to disk when the
system runs out of memory. Which means you can get xruns due to that
(imagine: part of the app is on disk and maybe is needed again in memory
to run the realtime stuff and that's it, it has to come from disk to
memory and that takes a lot of time).

Maybe you didn't have enough RAM to accomodate all the audio apps and
their libraries. Wine or whatever cannot lock down enough memory and it
quits.

-- Fernando