RE: [linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record
From: Reuben Martin (MartinR_AT_jbu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 08:01:25 EET

>>>qjackctl connections window shows alsa_pcm->capture_1
>>>and capture_2, which are connected to things in Ardour,
>>>but not qaRecord.
>>

>> Well... you're not going to capture anything with qaRecord unless you
>> patch the alsa capture intputs to it.
>>
>> In Ardour, do you have the tracks to capture you input armed? Hitting
>> the record button doesn't do anything if none of the tracks are armed.
>>

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>If I connect alsa_pcm:capture_1 or _2 to qaRecord:in_0 or in_1, then
>something shows up in the level monitor in qaRecord, but hovers down at
>-80dB and doesn't change regardless of the input.
>
>In Ardour: I start a new project, add an new track "Audio 1", click the
>button "INPUT" which gives me "in 1" or "in 2", so I choose "in 1".
>Then, press track's RECORD button and it turns pink. Then press record
>button, press play and send sound into mic and line-in. This does not
>seem to produce anything.

The -80dB is probably the noise floor. Either that or you have things turned down so low it is barely getting a faint signal. Run alsamixer and make sure the channels you are recording from are turned up and/or unmuted.

Beyond that I can't help you much. SB cards are an absolute nightmare. Perhaps somebody else on this list who has a SB card can offer more help. The Alsa Wiki can sometimes help.

-Reuben