RE: [linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record
From: Reuben Martin (MartinR_AT_jbu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 22:24:26 EET

>> Beyond that I can't help you much. SB cards are an absolute nightmare.
>> Perhaps somebody else on this list who has a SB card can offer more
>> help. The Alsa Wiki can sometimes help.
>>

>This is a well known problem. The emu10k1 needs an hwdep mixer app,
>like on Windows. It's just too complex for a generic mixer API.
>
>We get a lot of complaints about the mixer but not a lot of suggestions
>to improve it. A good way to start it to open an ALSA bug report like
>"emu10k1: mixer sux0r" and suggest how we could improve it.

The Sound Blaster / Audigy, AC97, and Nvidia related cards or chips are becomming a real pain in the ass. Something needs to be done to make the configuration of these idiot proof. (Not that I'm calling anybody with said hardware an idiot.) I try to help out people on the Gentoo Multimedia forums and there must be several posts a day reading something like "I can't get this POS audio device to work with Alsa".

Since most of the noobs to linux are comming from a windows background, wouldn't it help if the mixer app was modeled after the mixer app used for these cards / chips on windows? i.e. no learning curve. (maybe it already is, I've tried to stay away from them)

-Reuben