RE: [linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] newbie trying to record
From: Reuben Martin (MartinR_AT_jbu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 04 2004 - 00:55:07 EET

>The SBLive is not a POS, it works well, but the mixer is a mess. The
>AC97 and Nvidia cards I can't comment on.

Well, from a pro-audio point of view they're not too hot. ;) I'm sure they're great for normal workstation use, and I will conceed that they are much better than the AC97 and Nvidia chips.

>> Since most of the noobs to linux are comming from a windows background,
>> wouldn't it help if the mixer app was modeled after the mixer app used
>> for these cards / chips on windows? i.e. no learning curve. (maybe it
>> already is, I've tried to stay away from them)
>
>Yes but this is harder than you think and requires time and a lot of
>work.

Really? I wasn't talking about the driver apsect but rather the GUI layout. That is what seems to trip people up the most, like the person who origionally posted to this thread.

Anyway, you obviously have much more in-depth knowlege about this card than I do.

Regards,
-Reuben