Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple sound cards

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple sound cards
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 00:07:50 EET

Arnold Krille wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Wednesday 08 December 2004 22:04, Pam & Harold Norris wrote:
>

>>I'm not really new to either linux (4 -5 years) or linux audio (2-3
>>years) BUT I am new to getting more than one sound card to function at
>>the same time. I'm trying to get a linux based sound system (recording
>>only) up and running for our church. They currently have an 8 channel
>>mixer/amp and I would like to record8 analog channels in real-time. It
>>seems everything I have tried doen't work.
>>Here's the situation: I have alsa v 1.07 drivers, etc installed on a
>>2.4.25 kernel with the low-latency patch I have downloaded Jack v 0.99
>>and installed it. In conjunction with Ardour I can get either, BUT NOT
>>BOTH sound cards to record/play.
>>

>Short summary from the various mails on this list and from alsa-project.org:
>It is possible via an .asoundrc but you wont get it to work with jack without
>xruns. xruns are when one soundcard needs its new data (for playback) before
>the other card. It happens because your soundcards won't run with _exactly_
>the same frequency altough all clame to to 44.1kHz/48kHz.
>
>There was a thread here (or on linux-audio-developer@?) where one disconnected
>the quartzes from the second and third soundcard and connected them with the
>one from the first soundcard. Another approach is syncing the cards via an
>external digital sound signal (not timecode)...

Problem here is any card that has this capability is at least $150 US
last time I checked and I bought by Delta 1010LT on Ebay used for $180.00.

This is not relly feasible in terms of cheap solutions for good quality
recordings. Spend the money available on a cheap mixer and pre mix it
down to stereo. God doesn't mind premixed recordings last time I asked
him. :)

R~