Re: [linux-audio-user] Strict Red Book

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Strict Red Book
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 06:56:29 EET

Hi Reuben,

--- Reuben Martin <MartinR_AT_jbu.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to burn some audio CD's and I always run
> into the problem that there are some CD players that
> just don't want to play the CDs that come out of my
> burner. I'm burning them in raw on a Plextor drive,
> so it _shouldn't_ be having problems.

I trying to think of ways that the hardware could have
an impact and am failing to think of anything. Does
that make any sense?

 Apparently the
> CD's are not strictly compliant with Red Book specs
> though. (from the documentation CDrecord uses CD-DA
> rather than Red Book, I'm not quite sure what the
> differences are)

If CD-DA isn't Red Book, then I wonder what is. My
impression has been that Red Book is simply the method
by which the audio files are burned onto the disk.
There are two methods; A, Disk at Once (DAO) and B,
Track at Once (TAO). Red Book is DOA.

> This is quite annoying when I give people a CD and
> it turns out their palyer can't handle it. (Once
> there was even a CD-ROM drive that wouldn't play
> it!) Does anybody know of any solutions for this?

I just use my own scripts to burn CDs. I've never had
a problem. What program do you use to write the CD?
And if you post a TOC file maybe someone here can spot
something wrong with it.

Nobody else responsed which is why I am. Not because I
really know much about it. Although, I never have
problems with the CDs that I burn.

ron