Re: [linux-audio-user] the Linux soundapps pages redux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] the Linux soundapps pages redux
From: Dirk Jagdmann (doj_AT_cubic.org)
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 15:24:58 EET

> Do wikis present any particular problems for servers hosting them ? I
> ask because I don't own the servers that host the soundapps sites, and I
> certainly would not want to risk losing the good will of the providers.
> For those of you who don't know, Matt Probst maintains the US server,
> the folks at ATNET in Austria host the European site, and Kenji Yasaka
> provides the Japanese mirror. They have all donated the server space,
> bless their heads, and I want to be sure I don't screw with their security.

While I agree that a Wiki will provide the best option for the pages in
the long term, they still require quite some time to set up everything
correctly especially with some plain-html mirror sites.

If you want to make a quick start I would suggest you put your pages
into a cvs server, with a closed user base where people can make
changes. Then you can add a little cron job on your web servers which
checkout the cvs regularily. If there's nothing to update, that should
not consume too much traffic (and I think an update every few hours
should suffice).

If you don't have any CVS running yet, I could/would donate an cvs
server which is located in Germany and decently connected (but as the
cvs server must not be the web server, that should be no real bottleneck).

--
---> doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj