Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and 1394 Audio chips (Re: Open Source Hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and 1394 Audio chips (Re: Open Source Hardware)
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 02:46:00 EET

On 16 Dec 2004 00:06:08 +0100, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz_AT_ping.de> wrote:

> RME has some interesting information on its page
<ALMOST TOTAL SNIP>

> Cheers,
> Andreas

Removing consortium_AT_lists.linuxaudio.org as I don't know what it is.

These are some good links. Great actually. I know of the Bridge Co.
chips, as well as some of what Phillips, Sony, Yamaha and others do in
this area. I hadn't seen the TC chip. It looks quite cool.

I would suggest people think about what they *want* to accomplish with
a project like this, and then look at what role, if any, chips like
this would play. In my mind I could create a WONDERFUL sound card
using the Bridge Co. or TC chips, along with a couple of line drivers,
D/A's ect.. This would work and would likely work very well. However,
there is nothing 'Open Source' about the hardware design. The board
design & layout could be open, but as we've discussed already this
group cannot achieve the economy of scale that a real board
manufacturer would reach and thus our boards will always be more
expensive.

Why would any of us by the card from this group for $350 when you
could by it from M-Audio for $199? I don't think makes sense. I
wouldn't. (Correct me if you think this won't be the case.)

In my mind the real 'Open Source Sound Card' (OSSC?) is one where we
control the architecture of the hardware and what that hardware is
capable of doing. That is where we add value. (Assuming we have value
to add!) ;-) I do not think we add value duplicating a demo board
program designed at Bridge CO. or TC. That's what the folks in Taiwan
do and that's what gets marketed through M-Audio and others.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,
Mark