Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and 1394 Audio chips (Re: Open Source Hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and 1394 Audio chips (Re: Open Source Hardware)
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 04:36:28 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 16:46, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2004 00:06:08 +0100, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz_AT_ping.de> wrote:
>
> > RME has some interesting information on its page
> <ALMOST TOTAL SNIP>
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andreas
> >

> Removing consortium_AT_lists.linuxaudio.org as I don't know what it is.
>
> These are some good links. Great actually. I know of the Bridge Co.
> chips, as well as some of what Phillips, Sony, Yamaha and others do in
> this area. I hadn't seen the TC chip. It looks quite cool.

I agree, looks really interesting as an integrated solution. And
probably what everybody else (or almost everybody) is using :-)

> I would suggest people think about what they *want* to accomplish with
> a project like this, and then look at what role, if any, chips like
> this would play. In my mind I could create a WONDERFUL sound card
> using the Bridge Co. or TC chips, along with a couple of line drivers,
> D/A's ect.. This would work and would likely work very well. However,
> there is nothing 'Open Source' about the hardware design. The board
> design & layout could be open, but as we've discussed already this
> group cannot achieve the economy of scale that a real board
> manufacturer would reach and thus our boards will always be more
> expensive.
>
> Why would any of us by the card from this group for $350 when you
> could by it from M-Audio for $199?

Because it has a working linux driver? :-)

> I don't think makes sense. I wouldn't. (Correct me if you think this
> won't be the case.)

I'd pay a premium for a 1394 card that has good linux support, but I
don't know what is the point at which it would become "too expensive"
:-) That would be the only advantage. The problem with a hardware
project like this is that that particular advantage would be nullified
as soon as a major manufacturer provides the information for making a
commercial (cheap) 1394 card work under linux.

> In my mind the real 'Open Source Sound Card' (OSSC?) is one where we
> control the architecture of the hardware and what that hardware is
> capable of doing. That is where we add value. (Assuming we have value
> to add!) ;-) I do not think we add value duplicating a demo board
> program designed at Bridge CO. or TC. That's what the folks in Taiwan
> do and that's what gets marketed through M-Audio and others.
>
> Just my thoughts.

Thanks...
-- Fernando