Re: [linux-audio-user] Fervent Software Studio..to go! and GPL issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fervent Software Studio..to go! and GPL issues
From: Andreas Kuckartz (A.Kuckartz_AT_ping.de)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 16:32:19 EET

> For my future experiments, what if I want my piece of software to be released
> opensource, but I don't want other people to make dirty money (all that's
> remaining after sales, packaging, shipment and survival expenses) out of it:
> which license should I choose? Say that this piece of software is to be
> considered as a third-party of hardware devices, and I want anyone but
> concurrent firms stealing that work to be happy with it!

First you should carefully think about the business model you want to use - and
about your relations to those developers and users whom you might want to take
part in your project (what kind of community do you want to have arround your
software?) - and then you should have a closer look at different licenses.

For a list of existing Open Source licenses see:
http://opensource.org/licenses/

Cheers,
Andreas