Re: [linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]
From: thewade (pdman_AT_aproximation.org)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 05:14:12 EET

> Correct me if I\'m wrong here ... but ... lack of supported hardware is
> part of the reason people don\'t migrate to *nix operating systems; and
> another is the frightening complexity involved in doing anything with
> *nix which the OS and its software inherits from the relatively small,
> disorganized, underfunded community.

Minor correction: More hardware is supported in linux then in windows/mac
as far as I can tell. For example when I bought my 64 bit laptop there
was already a kernel and it took about 1 month to get most of the devices
working: one exception - Ralink rt2500 (just recently because of GPL
release of drivers).
Everything else basically works. My Webcam doesnt work because the driver
was pulled from the linux kernel because of no full GPL compliance.
http://www.aproximation.org/application/AMD64laptop.html

You are correct about the problem with complexity of setup and operation.
One problem with Windows/Mac; if you make the interface simple to use the
user of the computer becomes simple as a consequence. If you know about
your hardware, are forced to learn, then you know something and are
wiser. People are generally either lazy or too busy for linux.

Fedora core rom the default install could do many of the things *most*
people do with their computer though. Word process, web surf, instant
message, print, email. Its just the hardcore people like us that find
and overcome the difficulty because of the power it offers.

Finally to address your issue about RME: It sounds like a short term
solution. Sure they release drivers, it works now. What happens when
something new comes along and thoes drivers need to be rewritten or
modified? You have to wait for RME to get around to fixing it, and who
knows what the quality of their solution would be? We would be
sacrificing that power we gain from having a worldwide distribution
of coders pouring over the code and constantly evolving it.

My 2 cents,
-thewade