Re: [linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] (OSS vs. RME) vs. (OSS + RME) [slightly OT]
From: vord (vordhosbn_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 06:54:16 EET

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:48:59 -0500, Dave Robillard
<drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-16-12 at 20:45 -0600, vord wrote:
> > Everyone's happy -- RME discloses nothing and therefore risks nothing,
> > *nix gets compatibility and therefore a potentially larger user base,
> > which leads to potentially larger development teams, communities,
> > which leads to ... [imagination required beyond this point].
>
> No, Linux on approved x86 boxes with the single "supported" version of
> the Linux kernel gets compatibility. Maybe. For a little while anyway,
> until RME decides it doesn't care about your $2000 sound card anymore so
> prevent you from using it with any remotely recent system.
>
> "Spread cheer and free software throughout the land" indeed.

see my reply to thewade. this is so wrong. binaries from this group
can be provided for any arch just like they are with any other set of
drivers. RME, or whoever the manufacturer is, isnt even the one
developing the driver, nor maintaning it. see?

> > Obviously this is not perfect, but i think we can all agree that a
> > half-open- and half-closed-source model is better than the current
> > situation with regard to RME and Linux.
>
> That's great that you think "we can all agree that...". You're wrong.
> Don't tell me what I agree with. You want to start an ititiative to get
> a proprietary driver? Fine. Have fun. Just don't tell everyone else
> that obviously we all agree with you. If I agreed with you, I'd be
> running OSX (perhaps you should be..)
>
> On the other hand, you could help try to actually get RME to open up
> with specs and/or drivers instead of bending over (on behalf of Linux no
> less) for them.
>
> But more importantly, is it really necessary to revive this nonsense
> again? This awful thread finally dies and now this...
>

> -DR-

Please excuse my choice of words; but, Dave, it doesnt make much sense
to say you disagree when you dont understand in the first place.

Providing Linux compatability is the issue here, and it boils down to
how badly you want it. Personally Im not willing to bend over in the
least ... thats not what this approach is about. It is about proving a
point to hardware manufacturers, like RME, who [to their own
disadvantage, mind you] ignore users of opensource operating systems.
They mistakenly believe there is no money to be made here ... we can
bitch about it or we can prove it. You've made your choice; now stand
aside.

And, btw, this isnt the same thread. RME is just an example. I dont
intend to get angry or political or any such thing. Avoid using harsh
words, be civilized, and all will be well.

--vord