Re: [linux-audio-user] 24 bit replacement for SOX

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 24 bit replacement for SOX
From: Kai Vehmanen (kvehmanen_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 22:16:53 EET

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Jan Weil wrote:

> On Fri Dec 17 18:43:41 2004 Chris Lyon wrote:
>> Any recommendation's for a 24 bit compatible command-line drivable
>> 24bit 44.1 -> 48 k rate conversion & 48k -> 44.1K plus AIFF to WAV and
>> WAV to AIFF conversion?
>> I'm using Sox but it eems to be getting a little bit lng in the tooth
>> and it seems not to be 24 bit compatible.
> Ecasound + libsamplerate (the resample-hq object type). Have a look at
> its man page, ecasound(1).

Actually, as much as I'd like to recommend this combination, I'll have to
instead recommend using libsamplerate [1], and the sndfile-resample tool
that comes with the package, directly:

sndfile-resample -to 48000 foo44100.wav foo48000.aiff
sndfile-resample -to 44100 foo48000.wav foo44100.wav

Works great and with good quality. I've received some bug reports about
resampling with the ecasound+libsamplerate combo, and the 44.1<->48
conversions seems to trigger this bug. I hope to solve this issue for the
next Ecasound release (2.3.6/2.4.0).

But for pure conversion+resampling, sndfile-resample is just an excellent
tool and has no problems with 24bit audio.

[1] http://www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!