Re: [linux-audio-user] 24 bit replacement for SOX

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 24 bit replacement for SOX
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 04:04:47 EET

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:32:58 -0500
Jesse Chappell <jesse_AT_essej.net> wrote:

> Kai, I did notice that the SRC code in ecasound uses the simple
> API of libsamplerate, but it expects to use it blockwise with
> a continuous audio stream.

The simple API was designed to convert a whole file at once.

Please, please, please do not use the simple API on multiple
blocks of one contiguous piece of the same audio, unless you
*know* there is silence around the join point.

> The more advanced APIs maintain state
> between calls that I think are necessary when using it with a stream.

Yes, the callback and process API both store state between calls.

Good catch Jesse.

Cheers,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"Every time microshaft's stock price drops again, I rejoice. I
want to see that bunch of criminals brought to their knees.
Preferably at the chopping block."
-- rixt in http://linuxtoday.com/stories/20659_flat.html