[linux-audio-user] real life latency

Subject: [linux-audio-user] real life latency
From: Atte André Jensen (atte_AT_ballbreaker.dk)
Date: Sat Dec 18 2004 - 17:59:28 EET

Hi

I did a test to get some actual numbers on my latency controlling csound
from midi in real time: I hooked up a mic to capture the sound of the
key hitting the buttom of the keyboard. I then made a simple csound
patch with instant attack. Recorded both on my computer one on the left
one on the right channel. Then I opened a soundeditor and measured the
time between the two.

I was able to go down to 0.014 s. It feels pretty snappy, but it *looks*
like a lot. What can you guys achieve with a similar test? And what
would be typpical of commercial hardware synths?

My setup is:
*p4 2.4G laptop
*debian/unstable
*stock kernel 2.6.9