Re: [linux-audio-user] in tune - stupid thread

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] in tune - stupid thread
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 2004 - 17:48:11 EET

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:04:51 +0000
tim hall <tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:
> My preferred method...
    ( much snippage )

Richard Lloyd, the guitarist for the band Television, has a bit to say
on the topic at http://richardlloyd.com/lessons/index.htm

Excerpted so y'all don't crush my feeble lil server:

This particular method was shown me by guitarist Howard Harrison. It does
however, require the use of your ear.

First tune the bottom E. string to a tuning fork or tuning machine. Next,
fret the E. string at the tenth fret. This will give you a D. Tune the D.
string to this note by ear. Next, fret the D. string at the fifth fret.
Tune the G. string to the D. string at the fifth fret. Now fret the G.
string at the second fret. This gives you an A. Tune the A. string from
this note. Now fret the A. string at the second fret. Tune the B. string
from this note. It will be an octave up. Next, fret the D. string at the
second fret. This gives you E. Tune your high E from this. Again this
will be an octave.

Voila! Strum the guitar. It should sound considerably more pleasing. If
you are playing an acoustic or electric guitar by yourself this should work
delightfully. If you are playing with other instruments it can take some
real effort to find a harmoniousness between all the separate instruments,
but I think that if you try this approach you will begin to get a taste
of the difference between tuning to a machine and tuning to natural
acoustic principles.

But then, what if you are in a loud rock band or a large group where
everybody uses the same tuning machine and everyone is in a hurry and no
one has the time or inclination to listen to you rant about acoustic
principles and esoteric philosophy? Then I will offer you this approach:

Tune the guitar as usual to the machine. Tune the G. string slightly flat
by about 2 cents. Make sure that the B. string is not flat. The B. string
can be raised ever so slightly. Perhaps one cent or even 1/2. Experiment
with it. If you have been using the other approach to tuning you should
start to develop an ear for yourself. In any case, this approach can help
significantly. Neither method can recover the full acoustic balance
because all the frets are placed according to equal temperament. As
long as we insist on being able to play in every key at the same time
we will suffer this tradeoff. Enjoy.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com