[linux-audio-user] recording keyboard works (e.g. rosegarden)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] recording keyboard works (e.g. rosegarden)
From: Hans Fugal (fugalh_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 2004 - 21:20:58 EET

I'm interested in rendering some organ works electronically. The first
step of course is to get the music in the computer, e.g. in MIDI
format.

The piece I'm working on you can see at
http://www.xmission.com/~fugalh/in_dulci_jubilo.pdf

I can play this piece well enough. I don't have a MIDI pedalboard but
the pedal line is easy enough to add later. But as you can see the
music is in multiple voices, and I would like to instrument each voice
differently. I have tried recording them one at a time, in an ensemble
style, but even when I follow a metronome it ends up sounding like
trash. I have decided that either I need to work on my ensemble
playing or I am going about it the wrong way. Maybe I should just
record the manuals and try to separate out the parts into separate
tracks as a post-processing task. That's going to be a problem when I
try to do something else that requires more than one manual since I
only have one MIDI keyboard. Also, as much as I'd like to, I don't
have the time to learn each piece I'd like to render to the point of
perfect performance like I have this one.

What do you all do in this situation? The same issues naturally apply
to other styles of music as well, e.g. choral or orchestral.

--
De gustibus non disputandum est.