[linux-audio-user] Re: Tuning Program or wav files?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Tuning Program or wav files?
From: Douglas Ward (dwdraw_AT_bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 04:01:43 EET

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 21:03 -0700, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> I'm looking for wav files or a tuning program that would help me tune this
> violin. If i had a wav file or a tone generator, I could just put it on
> repeat while i was tuning. I've been searching the web for an hour now and
> have found nothing, but i may just be looking in the wrong places.

Tone generator:
there is a sine wave generator for XMMS
*tone generator*
(< http://dwdraw.homeunix.org/music/info/music-temperaments.html >--the
Just Intonation Sheet in the right-hand sidebar includes a list of
frequencies corresponding to notes (from A440 and up) that the XMMS
plugin will need; use the ET Freq. column)

You could also use *csound*, but it's not worth it for such a simple
purpose (unless you already compose with it).

In the U.S., you can buy tuners for $20 (which was not the case four
years ago).
Here is one store's listing (Korg CA30 and Seiko ST757 are two such
models):
http://www.hickeys.com/cgi/display.cgi?cart_id=&page=tuner.htm
(There are many other music stores online that have these inexpensive
tuners; your local music store might also have one.)

If physical tuners weren't so inexpensive, I wouldn't mention them.