[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 15, Issue 111

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 15, Issue 111
From: Michele Spinolo (michele.spinolo_AT_tin.it)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 20:05:54 EET

> I have two audio cards:
>
> (integrated)
> 00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
> using driver: snd_via82xx
>
> (PCI)
> 00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
07)
> using driver: snd_emu10k1
>
> I connected the two with a spdif connector because the internal one seems
> to have a better ADC than emu10k1
> (Sblive external Digital Out jack to Internal Spdif IN)
>
> When I play any file on the sblive, and ONLY if I listen it on the other
> card, I hear a click every 3 seconds. If I listen to the file directly
> from sblice line out it's OK.
>
> Maybe it's because of drift (of ~3hz) of the two card spdif clock. How can
> I make the two card sync'ed?

Hi Stefano,

I'm a newbie in Linux-Audio world, but maybe this can help you: using
"alsamixer hw:x" where x is your card hardware id (mounting 2 cards you
should have hw:0 and hw:1) be sure that integrated VIA card is setted to get
clock signal from s/pdif input.
If it's setted to internally generate clock signal you will have a drift
between VIA and SB card, causing "clicks" you are hearing.

Hope it helps!

Bye
Michele