Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 21:42:01 EET

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:06:44 -0500
pirrone <pirrone_AT_localnet.com> wrote:
> What is in your modules configuration file? Does Fedora use
> /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modules.conf?

Here's my /etc/modules.conf:

alias usb-controller usb-uhci
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
#alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
#alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=4 device_mode=0666
options snd-ice1712 index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
alias ath0 ath_pci
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ice1712
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

> Anyway, you might try defining
> these two devices with aliases that set them up so the Radium comes out
> as MIDI #1 and Audiophile as #2, that way any application that by
> default looks to interface 1 for input won't need to be patched in
> through aconnect or qjackctrl to see the Radium.

Note that there's nothing at all in modules.conf for the Radium keyboard.
It's simply a MIDI controlling keyboard, it makes no sound on its own, it
would be used simply to control soft synths on the PC.

> I believe snd-usb-audio supports up to 8 devices, so you should be able
> to define the 2 you are using to control the order in which they appear
> on your system.

I'll definitely take a look at this approach, as well as modifying an
asound file.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com