Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 18:41:23 EET

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 06:42 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:21:14 +0100
> "Robert Jonsson" <rj_AT_spamatica.se> wrote:
> > >
> > > Which programs are these, other than ZynAddSubFX? That's a bad bug,
> > > that would render such programs unusuable to a professional. And
> > > there's no excuse for it, it should be trivial to add support for
> > > selecting the MIDI device to use.
> >
> > I beg to differ.
> >
> > Selecting the input device is seldom interesting to do from the softsynth.
> > The routing is primarily done by the host program or a specifically crafted
> > routing app, like qjackctl or kaconnect.
>
> After spending a few days on this, I found that I started in Lee's camp,
> bpt fairly quickly moved to Robert's. While it's non-intuitive to a
> total MIDI n00b such as myself, once I realized that I use the connection
> program of my choice (qjackctl, in my case), it is a straightforward thing
> to make the connections.
>
> ZynAddSubFX is at least consistent in its approach; it doesn't make any
> connections to audio output channels, either. You have to use a Jack
> routing program for that as well.

The original poster said that some programs always connect their input
port to the first MIDI out port, and that can't be changed. If they
just registered themselves, it would be OK, or if they let you choose
the port to connect to it would be OK, but always connecting to the
first device seems boneheaded.

Maybe I am confused.

Lee