Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 13:42:26 EET

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:21:14 +0100
"Robert Jonsson" <rj_AT_spamatica.se> wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 12:30 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > > Programs default to the first MIDI device, which is on the Audiophile,
> > > and not all programs will easily allow one to change the input device.
> >
> > Which programs are these, other than ZynAddSubFX? That's a bad bug,
> > that would render such programs unusuable to a professional. And
> > there's no excuse for it, it should be trivial to add support for
> > selecting the MIDI device to use.
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> Selecting the input device is seldom interesting to do from the softsynth.
> The routing is primarily done by the host program or a specifically crafted
> routing app, like qjackctl or kaconnect.

After spending a few days on this, I found that I started in Lee's camp,
bpt fairly quickly moved to Robert's. While it's non-intuitive to a
total MIDI n00b such as myself, once I realized that I use the connection
program of my choice (qjackctl, in my case), it is a straightforward thing
to make the connections.

ZynAddSubFX is at least consistent in its approach; it doesn't make any
connections to audio output channels, either. You have to use a Jack
routing program for that as well.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com