Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] 2.6.10

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] 2.6.10
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 01:27:19 EET

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

>Jack O'Quin wrote:
>

>>Here are my results running vanilla 2.6.10. They support your
>>conclusion, but also the idea that the vanilla kernel is really quite
>>usable.
>>
>>Not sure what system statistics we should collect for this. My system
>>is Debian woody with 2.6.10 and realtime-lsm on an Athlon 1800+ XP
>>with 256MB main memory and M-Audio Delta-66 sound card.
>>

>Something worth telling, in deed: my laptop's Mandrake 10.1

A question here about Mdk 10.1 {a tad OT}...
I'm under the impression that there are issues preventing the use of
newer 2.6 kernels with 10.1 because they break stuff. It seems not as
you are using this kernel.

I don't have the time or really the skillset to build kernels
efficiently and I rely heavily on Thac's RPM's for my production box.
But I'm faced with a bit of a mild dilemna; Thac is not supporting the
10.0 RPMs and there have been many upgrades. But I cannot seem to get
the 2.6.7 mm.7 kernels to boot on my test box running 10.1 official. And
If I cant have a RT kernel to use, my production box is gathering
cobwebs. I don't need zero Xruns at 32x2. I just need reliable RT
performance with modest latency...I mean damn...I can go mess with my
Winblows machine to remember what latency blessings we have in Linux
audio! :) And I can always just hide the Qjackctl window; I'm convinced
that sometimes just seeing the "Xrun monitor" numbers turn red causes
some folks to tip the box over and start again with a fresh reinstall!
If I'm prepared to wear my sox 2 days in a row then I can live with some
red numbers. :) Dropouts are unacceptable not Xruns.

R~