Re: [linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 03:08:26 EET

tim hall wrote:

>Last Thursday 30 December 2004 06:34, Bill & Kath Worsfold "Songs" was like:
>

>>Should I get DeMuDi, or can I make the music applications work with
>>Mandrake? Is latency the main issue to watch out for, or are there
>>others I'm not aware of?
>>

>I'd seriously recommend DeMuDi-1.2.0
>http://download.agnula.org/1.2/1.2.0/demudi_1.2.0_i386.iso
>Probably the easiest install so long as you know your hardware doesn't need to
>use non-free drivers.
>
>Just for balance I have to say that PlanetCCRMA is also worth looking at.
>http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
>Mandrake also works well with thac's rpms;
>http://rpm.nyvalls.se/index10.0.html
>http://rpm.nyvalls.se/sound10.0.html
>Mandrake doesn't use apt, so it can be slightly more fiddly for Linux newbies
>to install all the music apps. If you already know you prefer Mandrake, then
>stick with it. You should have access to a similar range of software.
>
>It's probably best to get a working system going with most of the available
>Linux Audio packages. If you use one of the music-oriented distros then you
>can let people like Free Ekanayaka, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano, Thac and
>the rest of the LADs who populate these lists worry about things like latency
>issues for you. It's hard to talk about these things in the abstract.
>
>Have Fun.
>
>tim hall
>http://glastonburymusic.org.uk

The AGNULA folks need to do some serious updating to their website??
Unless all they have is 7 audio applications...I assume there is more
recent stuff in a repository somewhere?

I use Mandrake and Thac's but it is a bit of a pain at the moment with
the 2.6 kernel stuff and the latest distro is not likely to work at all
with the 2.4 kernel.

I've been tempted many times to try CCRMA but untill someone can spout a
reliable RT kernel in packaged form with all the most recent updates,
whatever the distro may be, I don't want to try anything new.

R~