Re: [linux-audio-user] Feasibility of Crestron like Linux Based Whole House Audio System - Multisource / Multizone Capable????????????

From: anahata <anahata@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 11:40:36 EET

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 09:13:28PM -0500, Steve Vanechanos wrote:

> I'm wondering if the present state of the Intel/AMD powered PC with
> Linux is robust enough to control multiple sources (4, 6 or 8) like
> digital cable box,
> directv receiver, XM radio, CD player(s), etc. and route the output to
> multiple zones/rooms (4, 6 or 8) in an effective and cost efficient manner.
[...]
> Once again, my apologies if I've breached any list/group protocol with
> this post.

Not at all for me, anyway. I'd be interested to see what's to be said
about this as I have been having similar thoughts - an extension to the
house which will be used part time as a recording studio will have CAT5
LAN cable going to it, and I also want to route audio to/from the rest
of the house, and I'm wondering if there's a good way of doing that
over the network instead of with separate cabling.

A major use of this would be to route the output of a digital radio
receiver, and as that's available as S/PDIF the all-digital route is
particularly tempting.

--
Anahata
anahata@email-addr-hidden -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk