Re: [linux-audio-user] Feasibility of Crestron like Linux Based Whole House Audio System - Multisource / Multizone Capable????????????

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 17:32:15 EET

I thought multitple instances of jackd recently became
doable. Am I wrong?

If you start jack_xmms, jack_alsaplayer, etc, then all
that's needed is the computer setup with audio
hardware at the server and going throughout the
building. This is just one control point for multiple
audio sources and a bunch of destinations. At this
point you put dumb terminals at the destinations.

The key to multiple sources is running more than one
jack server at a time. From that point it's all a no
brainer because any source can be routed to any
destination. This is a simple setup assuming multiple
jack servers. Oh, at the destination terminals is
displayed qjackctl which is an audio routing
interface.

I've never designed HiFi systems but have designed and
built a half dozen recording studios with sound
containment and accoustical treatment. This sounds
like a fun job.

ron