Re: [linux-audio-user] Interesting product...

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 09:49:54 EET

Yes, those demos are fantastic. And thars' the rub--this is not just a
non-free product but quite an expensive one (though it might be worth every
penny to someone doing classical or orchestral music!!). Developers have to
gage both the difficulty of port and the profit potential. Most Linuxers like
their stuff free (opensource, gnu, etc.) and will rarely shell out this kind
of bread.

This is not the only problem keeping windows 98 on my computer for music
production. Hardware support is lacking for my audio interface (Dman2044).
The software I use: Jammer, Home Studio and Ntonyx Style Enhancer (this one
will get you some of the realism in Synful and teamed up with it, who
knows!!--I have contacted Ntonyx about this product.) will doubtless not be
ported and will not run with WINE.

It is possible to get VSTs running in Linux. Ardour is an audio-only but nice
program if one can figure out its UI. Rosegarden is getting there. Tracktion
way well get going under WINE. But I am still stuck in Win98.