Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Kevin Ernste <kevinernste@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 06:47:14 EET

> > In any case, the other reason I chimed in was to thank you for your
> > work. The newest version of the JACK video is especially well done
> > and I think new users in particular will benefit.
>
> If your card doesn't support hardware mixing then just use dmix. What's
> the problem?

The problem:

1. Played Chris's JACK video. "dmix" is my "pcm.!default" in asoundrc
and this works great, so mplayer does not block other ALSA/OSS audio.
Other ALSA/OSS apps can still access the device.

2. Now, when his video tutorial suggested I tried starting JACK to
follow along. It fails to connect for me whether I direct jackd to
use to my "default", hw:0, or to my named dmix pcm directly.

One solution is to pre-connect the vdeo audio to JACK via a jackplug
or "jacklaunch", but if the video is already playing, no dice.

Kevin