Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 14:30:15 EET

> I don't have real answers to your questions (other than
> "more apps need to get to know JACK"), but I can attest to
> the strange feeling of watching your excellent videos and,
> with the JACK tutorial in particular, being ironically
> unable to open the discussed applications along with you
> because the audio device is blocked playing the video....an
> audio Catch 22.  I can imagine a new user running into this
> and being pretty frustrated.

Hehe. Yeah, that's confusing - and the reason for my question.

Just before I wrote the posting, I tried to have xmms and
kaffeine (a xine based KDE video player) running at the same
time.

No problem, I thought, xmms has a jack output plugin (great!).

But kaffeine has no possibility to talk to jack.

Fortunately, arts can meanwhile use JACK as output, so I used
kaffeine playing through arts to JACK :) .

But this is certainly not the way a normal user will find out.

> In any case, the other reason I chimed in was to thank you
> for your work.  The newest version of the JACK video is
> especially well done and I think new users in particular
> will benefit.

Hopefully. Great you enjoyed it!

 Gruß & regards

    ce