Re: [linux-audio-user] FS tuning tips {was XFS on FC2; experiences, pointers?}

From: Barton Bosch <bartonbosch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 07:26:07 EET

Jan Depner wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 19:11, Barton Bosch wrote:
>
>>I'm going to be doing a fresh install of FC2 in the near future and
>>am considering using an XFS data partition for music and video files.
>>
>>It seems that XFS isn't an install time option (according to Disk
>>Druid). How is an XFS partition added? Does anyone here have any
>>experiences or pointers to share WRT XFS or XFS and FC2?
>>

> The easy way is to make the other partitions as ext3 in Disk Druid,
> after you boot up do a df to see what partitions they are on (for
> instance, /dev/hda5), umount the partitions, do mkfs.xfs -f /dev/hda5
> (or whatever the partition is), edit /etc/fstab and change the LABEL=
> part for those partitions to be /dev/hda5 (or whatever), then mount the
> partitions.

Thanks Jan, for the tip and everybody for the rest of the responses.
  Further investigation reminded me where I was stumped the first
time I tried to format an XFS partition. The default FC2
installation does not have the xfsprogs package, so no mkfs.xfs
command or xfs utilities.

Apparently the easiest way to use XFS with FC2 is to feed the "linux
xfs" parameter at install time but to hold off on actually making
the filesystem until later. Then:

# mkfs.xfs -i size=512 /dev/hda<n>

This is due to reduced performance and the amount of space wasted by
SELinux if the default inode size of 256 bytes is used.

Does anyone have any info on tuning xfs and/or ext3? None of the
default settings on my filesystems have been changed at all.

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

>>I'm going to be doing a fresh install of FC2 in the near future and
>>am considering using an XFS data partition for music and video files.
>>

> Why not FC3?

Two reasons: 1) I'm on a 56k net connection so obtaining a new
distro is relatively inconvenient; and, 2) the accelerated life
cycle of fedora is a little bit faster than ideal for me. I'm
trying to increase my ratio of time spent on real work (tm) to
administration and troubleshooting.

Upgrading to a new version of a distribution usually solves some
problems while introducing new ones and I'm in the process of
running down most of the major rough spots in the FC2 installation
on my production machine.

Barton