Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: OSC as real-time controller

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 09:47:24 EET

On Thu, 2005-06-01 at 20:22 -0700, JP Mercury wrote:
> Antoine,
>
> > > I think I am heading in this direction. Please let me know if there are
> > > specific types of control you'd like to see.
> > OSC?
>
> I'm dimly aware of OSC, but have yet to wrap my head around the potential
> advantages of it. I know that Jesse Chappell uses it in SooperLooper. Can you
> give me an example application?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mercury

OSC is also used for communicating to the SuperCollider engine, and I'm
working on a modular synth that is entirely OSC controlled.

You can send OSC messages from Max/MSP, Pd; it's used in Reaktor and
some other NI products, and is usable from at least a few scripting
languages (Python being one I know for sure).

It basically allows you to send arbitrary commands with an arbitrary
number of arguments of any type.

/synth/note_on 440
/set_volume 1.2
/patches/master/nodes/oscillator/set_control frequency 440
/do_stuff withlots ofarguments 123.0 25

etc. etc.

http://www.opensoundcontrol.org/about/

-DR-