Re: [linux-audio-user] Tracktion & Wine

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 15:56:55 EET

Hallo,
David Baron hat gesagt: // David Baron wrote:

> When that framework is "opensourced", well, I too would be interested in
> participating and I am good at it :-).
>
> Problem is that to get into this, a company needs a business plan far
> different than conventional. Sun has a two-tiered approach: Sell Star Office
> to those who want support, give out OpenOffice to the rest of us. Sun,
> however, is in the computer business.
>
> Mackie is basically a hardware house. I wish I could afford a nice mixer panel
> from them. Will it be profitable for them, after the giveaway ends, to sell
> Tracktion and add-ons for it, remains to be seen (as this is not really their
> focus and maintaining software can be a pain (and resource drain) in the
> butt). Opensourcing the whole kitandkaboodle and selling related/dedicated
> hardware for it might be an alternative (and the giveaway might just be
> testing these waters).

Well, hardware is, what you can sell even to free software people, and
even expensive hardware, as RME has shown. We all need speakers, for
example, and Mackie (or Tapco) produces great speakers. If they would
support FLOSS development, I'd be even more inclined to prefer their
stuff over others'.

Ciao