Re: [linux-audio-user] Tracktion & Wine

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 17:01:28 EET

David Baron wrote:
> When that framework is "opensourced", well, I too would be interested in
> participating and I am good at it :-).

Nice to hear.

The so-called framework (JUCE) is actualy released under an open-source
license (GPL), but I think its up with us, linux audio users and
developers, to show Jules what our interests really are, and offer our
kind help or participation in whatever will be needed to bring Tracktion
to the Linux arena.

IMO, the main issue is about bringing JUCE to Linux in the first place.
Well, that's the whole purpose of my notice. Speaking for myself, I
believe to fit both interests, as an user and as a developer.

Please note that I'm not asking for Trackion being open-source. Nor am I
assuming it will ever be. I'm just trying to ease the route to reach a
true native Linux port. Is up to Mackie whether it will be priced or not.
I have no reason to believe Mackie will release Tracktion as open-source,
even though Mackie is in the hardware business, not software.

OTOH, and as already noticed here, JUCE seems to be a real gem, and as
open-source as I trust it is, it can be a real promising cross-platform
C++ GUI, Audio and MIDI, all-in-one-toolkit-solution for Linux. Yes, it
does seems yet another one, but this time it would be highly specific for
building cross-platform DAWs :)

The following should be essential linux-platform-specific "underwear" to
stuff into JUCE:
   - GUI: Xorg, freedesktop.org
   - Audio: JACK, ALSA
   - MIDI: ALSA
obviously being the cream of the crop of our Linux and Audio/MIDI
technology, IMO.

OK. Next step should be perhaps about asking on LAD if this whole idea
makes sense, or is it a plain dead-end. Hopefully not. Then push the whole
thread to Jules mailbox and see what comes about ;)

Cheers.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden