Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 11:46:45 EET

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:02:47 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 22:45 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > The questions are:
> >
> > * Would JACK be stable enough? I guess yes. Furthermore, we
> > can make a deamon which restarts jack if it dies
> >
> > * Is JACK secure enough? Certainly jack would never be started
> > by any distribution per default with realtime privileges. But
> > this is not needed for the common user, so users who need it
> > can turn it on later.
> >
> > * Could JACK be started during boot time and collect audio
> > from any user? As discussed before, this is not necessaryly
> > needed, JACK could also be started as soon a user logs in.
> > But I like the idea that I can have multiple X sessions and
> > every of these users can play audio
> >
> > * One problem remains, JACK cannot use different soundcards
> > because of the cards quartzes. So, would we have to start a
> > seperate JACK instance for each card?
>
> Linspire (formerly Lindows, then L*nd*ws or something) posted to the
> jackit-devel list that they are in fact using JACK as the sound server
> for their next release. Let's see how well they pull it off...

The tricky bit is stopping non-RT apps (the bings and bongs apps) from
messing up the deadlines for the RT apps. I would be more confortable if
they'd made a MAS server (or gstreamer, whatever) that talks JACK, then
you only have one non-RT app (the server) that has to be carefully vetted.

That could be what they've done ofcourse.

- Steve