[linux-audio-user] PCI audio interfaces

From: Spencer Russell <Spencer.Russell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 12:17:33 EET

Hey all,
So I'm looking to put together a more serious recording rig, and
trying to do so for under about $1500. I've got a couple ideas on
how I'm going to procede, and I've been looking at a variety of
PCI audio interfaces. I'm looking for 8-10 channels of analogue
I/O, probably expandable with some ADAT lightpipe I/O, MIDI
(although if I can't get it in the PCI card, it's not a big
deal), Word clock would be nice. I don't really need onboard mic
pres, as they're bound to be crap anyways, so I'd rather just get
a semi-decent mixing board. Most of the cards I've been looking
at have rackmountable breakout boxes, which is great, because I'm
planning on rackmounting the computer anyways. The M-audio Delta
1010-LT seems to be a pretty good option, too, as it seems to
have most of the functionality of the regular 1010, but about 100
cheaper on eBay. Neither have ADAT, though. The Echo Layla 24/96,
also seems like a great card, and it seems to be exactly what I'm
looking for, but slightly more pricey than some other options.
The DSP2000 c-port seems to have everything I need, but I can't
figure out how well it's supported under Linux. There're some
posts on the alsa-devel archives about trying to get it working,
but it's not listed on the Alsa soundcard matrix, so I'm not
optimistic.

Does anyone have any great or terrible things to say about any of
these cards? about any other similar cards? about a completely
different way of setting up such a DAW?

thanks!
-spencer