Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 08 2005 - 17:57:57 EET

Greetings:

A bit of a ramble, but bear with me...

Hannu Savolainen wrote:

>OSS is another open source project with an alternative closed source
>version. Are there any political problems? Surprise surprise there are
>political problems. There are BIG political problems. Big enough to start
>a jihad against OSS. Since the announcement of the commercial OSS
>alternative also the freeware OSS version has been contaminated. So it
>must be removed from the kernel and replaced by another interface that is
>free from anything that looks, smells or tastes like OSS. Even if creating
>this alternative driver is going to take takes 7 years (or more) of time

Hannu, you know I love ya, man, but are you being completely candid with
this crowd ? From my POV the "political" problem is simply this: There
was an apparent conflict of interest between one same group managing the
kernel audio sources and running a business based on those sources. Even
you have admitted that it was a mistake for you to attempt to control
the kernel audio sources. I'm not going to bash OSS, the API has
provided a common performance layer that has been decent enough for
amateur desktop audio, and I'm sure it's evolved to accommodate more
professional applications. But it's done so *after the appearance of
ALSA*, which pursued goals which then seemed to be addressed only by the
commercial OSS/Linux.

Hannu, AFAICT there were no oss-devel or oss-users mail lists that
presented an open invitation for developers and users to take part in
the creative and decision-making processes that would drive the
development of an open-source kernel audio layer. IIRC there was a sense
that you and Dev pretty much ran the show when it came to Linux audio,
which is not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it raises eyebrows to
consider that you also run a business based on that show. A critical
user cannot escape the possibility that you might favor your business
interests over the interests and contributions of users and 3rd-party
developers. And while I have great faith and trust in your integrity,
faith and trust are neither binding or reliable. The GPL is.

For those readers who may not be aware of the facts, Hannu is one of the
founders of Linux audio at the kernel layer. His company, 4Front
Technologies, supplies an excellent package of sound drivers
(OSS/Linux), and he is one of the principal authors of the OSS API.

"Jihad" is a bit extreme in this use, don't you think ? OSS was not
providing what more and more users wanted from a kernel audio system.
The development process was perceived to be relatively exclusive and a
more open alternative was demanded. Hence, ALSA, which is here to stay.
What about the possibility that you could work directly with the ALSA
team towards greater improvement of kernel audio ? As an end-user I have
no stake in the differences between OSS and ALSA, I just want the best
possible sound system for my professional and other uses for my Linux
audio software.

ALSA has no doubt bit into your business. And it is probably equally
true that the OSS API has evolved to a far more capable kernel audio
layer. But Hannu, who wrote that API ? Were any members of the LA*
groups involved ? Was there any announcement to the effect that the OSS
developers would welcome input from the development community at large ?
You know these things matter to Linux users and developers alike, and
*any* Linux-based project loses points the more it appears to be a
closed and exclusive process. Yes, even the X project.

Please, everyone, I'm so tired of polemics. My current opinion is, "If
you're not part of the solution, maybe you shouldn't be using Linux".
(That's the general "you" there, Hannu, I certainly don't mean you
yourself). So if there's a real problem between talented developers, my
wish as a user is that it be worked out to everyone's benefit. A rosy
view, to be sure, but I guess I do have a fair bit of faith and trust
after all...

And Hannu, you have my highest regards for the work you and Dev have put
into the development of Linux audio. It is questionable whether we would
be so far along if not for your efforts.

Best always,

dp