Re: [linux-audio-user] Common linux audio layer

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 21:37:12 EET

Hi Dave,

>   My laptop includes a NeoMagic 256A/V audio/video chip,
> i.e., no hardware mixing. So under normal circumstances I
> get to use one soundapp at a time. Here's my
> $HOME/.asoundrc file that gives me software audio
> multiplexing :

[...]

> An example usage might look like this:
>
>     xine -A alsa foo.mpg
>     aplay -f cd -D default foo.wav

If I understand correctly, it does create some virtual cards
based on one hardware card.

Will ALSA assign each application a virtual card
automatically, or does the application try all virtual cards
until it finds a free one?

Is the number of virtual cards limitated in any way, or are
they created automatically/dynamically?

> Performance is improved on my machine (a PII 366) if I
> change the sample rate to 32000. At 44.1 kHz the little box
> just barely keeps up whie playing a movie at the same time
> I run a major soundapp. There are probably other
> interesting tweaks, but this example might get someone
> started in the right direction.
>
> I think the Windoze system audio mixer does the same thing
> as dmix but rather transparently. It is a pain to have to
> write a specific asoundrc file, but it's not an awful
> pain...

Unfortunately, the common user will not be able to do so, and
to be honest, I'll need many hours to create an asoundrc for
myself.

Furthermore, it's a pity when dmix is only present on some
single machines where the user has created an asoundrc file
manually. There seems to be an interesting technology, but
noone does use it.

What about creating a shell script which helps us in creating
an /etc/asound.conf resp. an ~/.asoundrc? It'd be great even
if distributors woult use it as a backend to install dmix on
every machine.

> (dp thanks Takashi Iwai for explaining dmix to him over and
> over again...)

So thanks a lot for spreading his knowledge to further
people ;-) .

 Best regards

    ce