Re: [linux-audio-user] XRUN/XRUN callback

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 19:25:11 EET

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:11:54 -0500, Andres Cabrera
<andres@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Rui,
> Thanks very much for your explanation. I remember there was a discussion
> about this not too long ago, but I'm wondering if the xruns matter when
> recording only. You could record at low latency, then raise it for
> mixing and mastering (like you usually do on any system). Would this be
> ok? Or would the recorded audio be missing small pieces?
>
> Cheers,
> Andres

You cannot know for certain. If the xrun is Ardour not delivering
audio to the sound card then you get a click in the output audio. Not
a killer problem. If the xrun is Ardour not acquiring audio from the
sound card then the data is lost forever. Much bigger problem.

I would recommend that you record with latencies just high enough to
not be overly painful, and then push them higher when doing mixing if
you are not interfacing with external signal paths for post
processing.

- Mark