Re: [linux-audio-user] recommended music, was [OT] Steely Dan

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 02:34:47 EET

Last Thursday 13 January 2005 04:14, Michal Seta was like:
> tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > I love the story that Rodrigo's famous concerto theme was written whilst
> > waiting for his wife to give birth. What a buzz!
>
> And which concerto is that?  Because his most famous concerto(?) is the
> Aranjuez concerto and the theme of it is actually a melody played by bells
> on this huge central clock every noon in the town of Aranjuez...

That was the one I meant, yes.

> BTW, perhaps I was not paying attention but I _think_ nobody
> mentioned SPK, Throbbing Gristle, Francis Dhomont...

I preferred Chris'n'Cosey, Treatment, Test Dept and Nurse with Wound myself

I'd also add John Adams' 'Grand Pianola Music' and almost anything involving
Holger Czukay and Ashkenazy's interpretations of Rachmaninov.

I'm also fast becoming a fan of Ico Bukvic's music, I found his '1st Quartet'
and 'Nebulae' particularly moving.

Actually also come to think of it:
Philip Khoutev's approach to Bulgarian Harmony
Ivo Papsov's Bulgarian Wedding Band
Stockhausen's 'Ceylon/Bird of Passage' - strangely listenable
William Walton's 'Belshazzar's Feast' - magnificent
Motorhead's 'No Sleep till Hammersmith' - now that's what I call funk!

And that's just the highbrow stuff

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk