[linux-audio-user] JACK timemachine and W64 file format

From: Jon B <30plxf602@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 04:03:29 EET

"Because some people wanted to record files that are longer than 2GB, if
you're using 8 channels you hit that limit pretty quickly, but even for
stereo its a problem."

For some reason I was under the impression that W64 was used because
it saved 32-bit floating point data and therefore didn't clip; not
because of file size limits. Is this true? (I don't know of any
programs I can play them in, anyway; I just save to WAVs.) Is there
any format that does do this, that could then be normalized and
reduced to regular WAV after the recording?