Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian kernel for x64?

From: Martin Habets <errandir_news@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 00:45:55 EET

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 02:52:18PM +0100, nescivi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have experience with a Debian kernel for a 64-bit machine?

Ehhm, what do you mean? That has been working for years already on
alpha & sparc! :)

> I am at the moment considering whether to upgrade SuSe from 9.1 to
> 9.2, or to switch to Debian.
> I want to get a 2.6.8 kernel (or maybe higher) to get the realtime
> stuff working allright.
> SuSe provides a 64-bit kernel, but seems a bit problematic to let me
> install the sources for the 9.2 version kernel...

For now getting realtime working in 2.6 is realy independent of what
distribution you choose. The distro's aren't there yet apart from Planet &
Demudi (I think they had plans to go to 2.6?). You need to compile your
own kernel.
Combining realtime with x86_64 is guaranteed to be a steep hurdle. But
very challenging as well.

I use Debian everywhere, but don't use the debian-specific sources or tools
to build the kernel. For SuSe I'd recommend likewise: ignore the
distro-specific sources & tools.

--
Martin