Re: [linux-audio-user] Probing modules

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 04:29:26 EET

Last Sunday 16 January 2005 00:24, Christoph Eckert was like:
> Hi,
>

> just for fun and for learning the system, I wanted to write a
> small script which automatically configures any soundcards
> (similar to alsaconf).
>
> Based on PCI, I wanted to get all vendor and card IDs and
> modprobe each ALSA module to each card found and check the
> result.
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be that easy. Could anyone
> confirm, that I cannot load a module to a certain PCI card?
>
> Furthermore, modprobe does not give any error when probing a
> module for a card I do not have.
>
> And I found no way to get backwards the card ID for a loaded
> module :( .
>
> Does anyone know a way how I can find out which cards are in
> the system and which module fits to it?
>

> Any wee small hint is very welcome.

At a guess & I ain't an expert, I would have thought that a look at the source
code for alsaconf, kudzu &/ discover or even soundconfig or whatever would be
enlightening here. Or even just the man pages:
Kudzu detects the current hardware, and checks it against
       a database stored in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf.
discover provides an extensible hardware detection and reporting inter-
       face. Hardware information is stored in an XML data format and can be
       retrieved across the network. Try /usr/share/list.xml.
If you can come up with something that works better than alsaconf on Debian
(i.e. works ;-) I for one will be interested in your results.
Not quite in the same league, but also very useful is
http://alsa.opensrc.org/?aadebug for simple alsa diagnostics.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk