Re: [linux-audio-user] Probing modules

From: Rusty Phillips <rustyp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 08:15:24 EET

Vendor IDs can be found under the /proc/pci. Most modules do actually
give the option of loading with a certain vendor id if they support more
than one chipset.

A more reliable thing you can do is check to see which card was loaded
by comparing /proc/pci with /proc/asound/cards, both of which list
unique characteristics that can be used to determine if a card was
loaded (or if more than one was loaded, etc). Just to be
clear, /proc/pci lists everything on your PCI bus. /proc/asound/cards
lists all cards for which you have loaded modules.

This technique could easily generalize to also checking other buses,
such as USB, firewire, or CardBus.

I wonder if any of the hardware detection systems use this approach
(looking through proc to see what turned up)?